Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Song of the day

First things first: my baby brother got engaged last night. Aah!!
So incredibly excited for them. I've been freaking out ever since Tom told me he was ring shopping earlier in the summer, so now that it's official I can barely contain myself.


So other than that excitement, today I realized that I haven't listened to music as much in the past six months for some reason. I'm thinking that needs to change, though, because I've been remembering some gems in the past few days, and it makes me want to have headphones on 24/7.

Today's obsession: 24 by Switchfoot.
[lyrics here]

So much goodness held in this song, but my favorite lyrics are towards the end.
I want to see miracles, see the world change
Wrestled the angel, for more than a name
For more than a feeling
For more than a cause
I'm singing Spirit take me up in arms with You
And You're raising the dead in me
It's the Jacob imagery that gets me. In Genesis 32, Jacob is preparing to meet with his brother Esau for the first time since Jacob stole Esau's blessing. Jacob's a bit afraid to see his brother (and, giving him the benefit of the doubt, I'm hoping feeling a little guilt for his wrongdoings), and so after he sends his entire camp over ahead of him, verse 24 says "a man wrestled him until daybreak." Jacob continues struggling with the man, not letting go even after serious injury, unwilling to surrender until the man blessed him.  It is here that Jacob becomes Israel. His persistence and struggle allow him to realize his purpose and to receive the blessing that is rightfully his.

Good song. Good images. I'm digging it. And when I get into a song, it generally means that I listen to it about 50 times in a two day period, just to make sure I soak up all the goodness ;)

Well, I'm pretty exhausted. Had a Duke Lutheran event with a couple other campus ministries and served food to about 400 freshmen. It was awesome, but I'm ready to drop, so I think I'll turn in early tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment