Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

NOLA and John 10

As the title of this post suggests, I have had two things on my mind today.  
[Bear with me, I have a lot to say about this.]

John 10 came up because it's the Scripture that my Pastor is preaching on this week. I read it as I was working on the powerpoint, and a couple verses in particular struck me.

24 The Jews gathered around him, saying, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.” 25 Jesus answered, “I did tell you, but you do not believe. The miracles I do in my Father’s name speak for me, 26 but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. 27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. 

Hurricane Isaac has made landfall in the gulf and is causing a lot of damage in New Orleans, as well as other places, on what happens to be the seventh anniversary of Katrina's destruction of that same area. [Check out the news] For those who don't know, NOLA holds a pretty dear place in my heart. I have been there four times post Katrina to do relief work, the most recent trip just this past March.

So where might these two thoughts connect? Well in first thinking about the passage I was stuck on what the Jews said in verse 24.  If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.  I think I can often relate to this sentiment. Be straight with me, Lord. Tell me who You are and what You're doing, because I can't figure it out. Christ's reply to the Jews is simple: I did tell you, but you do not believe.

Ouch.

The miracles I do in my Father’s name speak for me, 26 but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. But of course, we're not like those people Jesus is talking to. They saw Jesus doing crazy miracles and they still didn't believe. If we had been there, we totally would have believed him. Right?

27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. Today, in the midst of wondering who God is in the midst of my crazy life and this crazier world, I had to ask: Do I know His voice? Do I see His work?  While I have not had the privilege of seeing someone healed right in front of me,  I have to admit that I have seen/heard about Jesus doing some pretty extraordinary things in and through His people. In my four trips to NOLA I have gutted a house and helped restore another. I have served people food and listened to their stories. I have seen the 9th Ward transform to a place of destruction, to a vast empty space, to a growing community. I have been there a very short amount of time, but I have served next to amazing people who have committed their lives to God's restoration of that place and its people, and they have impacted me greatly. And, as if that weren't enough, the teams I served with bore wonderful and challenging friendships that have altered the course of my life. NOLA is more than a place I've been; it's a place that God used to utterly change me. It's a place where I saw His hands working. A place where I heard His voice speaking over His sheep.

So, after relating to the Jews and their question to Jesus, being convicted by Jesus' proclamation that He had already answered that question, and remembering the voice of the Good Shepherd and the works that He has done, I can come to the end of this passage and have hope for NOLA and those in Isaac's path. 28 I give [my sheep] eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. 
 
At some point, the sun will rise and make plain what has been lost. There will be grief and anger and questions. Some will wonder where God was, others will call it His judgment. But here is the truth: Jesus does not abandon His sheep. The most amazing thing about New Orleans was not seeing how incredible the destruction was, but seeing the incredible ways in which God was moving because of the faithfulness of His people. The tragedy of Katrina was multiplied by the failure of the government and its rescue agencies in the immediate aftermath of the storm, and by the horrible stories of residents being scammed out of their money by fake contractors and the like. But I heard different stories. Like how the location of large church allowed them to partner with the National Guard and assist people within 72 hours of the storm. About how agencies like Samaritan's Purse and Operation Blessing were some of the first organizations to get to NOLA with food and supplies and people to help. How Lutheran World Relief set up camps to aid in the rebuilding effort, and are still there 7 years later. This is His work. This is what speaks for Him. Jesus does not abandon His sheep.


Please join me in praying for the people of New Orleans and along the coast where Isaac is hitting. Pray encouragement over our brothers and sisters in Christ who are being God's hands and feet in that place, and have been doing so for many years. It is through their faithfulness that I have heard the answer to my questions and doubts.  He has shown me plainly. He is the Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment