Pages

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

A prayer for today

Incredibly quick note before I go off to work this morning, but this is on my heart and I need to share it.

The Supreme Court is ruling on DOMA today, and so I'm sure by the time I get home and check facebook this evening, my feed will be covered in opinions, debates, politically charged memes, etc. on both the happy and disappointed side.

I know one of the beautiful things about our country is that we are allowed to have such differing opinions, but we do so much damage with this privilege. We allow such hate to flow from us because of our freedom of speech and the ability to speak through such a medium that we don't have to actually look people in the eye.

My prayer for today is that, no matter what the ruling is, no matter how happy or infuriated it makes us, we would remember this:

All people are created in the image of God.

I pray that when we deal with this news today we can remember that. That the words we say, especially to those on the opposite side of this debate, would be affected by this truth.

Because those people whom we so strongly disagree with?
God made them, and Christ died for them.

I think that should mean something.

Lord, in Your mercy,
hear my prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment